Friday, February 17, 2012

Strolling with Prehistoric Reptiles or "Changing the Title to be Witty"

Hi everyone!

Just finished re-watching the BBC series Walking With Dinosaurs, which first aired waaay back in 1999 (Wow, that's more than half of my life so far!), about the daily lives and struggles of these fascinating creatures.

I remember watching it for the first time back when I was about ten years old, and was completely blown away by it. Sure, I had seen Jurassic Park before, but this felt a lot more gratifying to me, being the dinosaur-obsessed paleontology-nerd that I was. Seeing these animals brought to life on the TV screen was like magic to my innocent soul.

Seeing it now, I must say it has aged fairly well. Yes, without the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles, you probably will scoff at some of the special effects. After all, computer graphics have come a long way since 1999, and what was state of the art, cutting edge CG back then looks quite archaic compared to to the effects of the average blockbuster film today. But still, for what it is, it works quite well, and delivers a mostly convincing depiction of dinosaurs and some of the creatures that lived alongside them. Not to mention the lovely narration by Kenneth Branagh. (Unless you are American, hah! Just kidding.)

Anyway, it was a nice nostalgia trip, and it set me off on a brief wikipedia session to learn more about some of the more obscure species featured in the series.

I guess it's on to Walking With Beasts next, then. Here's hoping for some awesome mammoth fights or something. Until next time, have a good day!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds fairly familiar... Maybe I should go watch it and hopefully go on a similar nostalgia trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh walking with dinosaurs! My favourite series as a kid, basically. I still think dinosaurs are awesome.

    ReplyDelete