Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lucid Dreaming - Nightmares

Hi everyone!

Last time, I talked about false awakenings. Today, I'm going to talk about a slightly more unpleasant subject for most of us: Nightmares.

I'm sure all of you have had a few nightmares in your days. They can be different for different people, but what they all have in common is that they make us feel scared, uncomfortable, disgusted and generally just be an unpleasant experience. Common themes in nightmares include not being able to move properly while being chased by something, or being in an extremely socially awkward situation. When I was a child, I had quite a few nightmares, one of which was a recurring dream. In that dream, I was inside a cave together with a group of gnomes. All of a sudden, the cave collapsed on top of me and I was trapped in the dark, unable to move. At this point, I would wake up, frightened. Over the years, though, my nightmares got fewer and fewer, and now I rarely ever have them any more.

As horrible as nightmares can be, they can be a prime trigger for a lucid dream. Due to their nature, they can very easily be identified as dreams when you recall them. Because of this, it should be fairly easy to recognise a nightmare for what it is, a dream, and become lucid. This should hold especially true for recurring nightmares, since you might start to recognise them quickly.

Once lucid, you are the true master of your dream world, and have the ability to defeat your nightmare and conquer whatever fear that triggered it. If you are being chased by something, turn around and face it. Confront your pursuer. Sometimes, this alone is enough for the fear to dissipate completely. Ask your pursuer what he is doing in your dream. Knowing that you are in control, that you have the power to defeat anything in your own dream, it will listen to you.

When your nightmare has been conquered, demand that it give you a gift. This will change the negative emotions into positive emotions, and completely dispel the nightmare. If it was a recurring nightmare, it should be gone for good. The "gift" you will receive can be anything, but it will always be something good.

After all that, you might as well enjoy the rest of your LD by doing something fun. Congratulations on defeating your nightmare!

Well, I hope this can be of help to you. Until next time, sweet dreams!

26 comments:

  1. How does Lucid Dreaming fair with those with Oneirophobia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how LD can change everything. Do you ever find it a little dissatisfying because it lets you control your dreams, as opposed to believing they are happening and watching them unfold

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have nightmares (or dreams i cannot control) when i am struggling to sleep, sort of at that point between sleeping and awake. everything seems a bit too real around me and sometimes i gets the better of my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing...
    I will test it!
    #Followed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tips. All my nightmares involve me fighting and throwing these weird half punches with no strength. Will try to kick some a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna learn Lucid Dreaming. Cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn, you want me to put out effort in dreams? I barely do effort in normal waking reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I can manage to perform lucid dreaming, but I seldom dream nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most I can do when in a nightmare is realize it and wake myself up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hate having nightmares! especially when you wake up and it still feels real ;( very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. interresting, ima check this out soon.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds great man! keep up the info :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will definitely help me to overcome my nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate having nightmares as well...and this LD yea still a no go for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was a kid, every time I realised that the nightmare was a dream I closed my eyes as tight as possible and then opened them to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good post, bro. This is really some trippy stuff

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have a couple reoccurring nightmares as a kid, can't remember the last time I recently had one, or a lucid dream for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nightmares is just memories from throughout the day, which your brain are erasing from your mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ihave more success with LD when I am in a nightmare that I cannot escape. I usually will wake up in the dream to escape because I cannot deal with the fear anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't had a nightmares for a while... but they suck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't have nightmares often but it sucks when you have the nightmare and you know you are sleeping but you can't wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog always has the most interesting posts. you've helped me achieve lucid dreaming several times!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i haven't had a lucid dream in forever. i might try this

    ReplyDelete